OceanCrew News

U.S. and Iran Still Deadlocked on Key Issues Despite Signs of Diplomatic Progress

No cover image

By Jacob Bogage and Parisa Hafezi WASHINGTON/DUBAI, May 21 – The U.S. and Iran continue to disagree on issues like Iran's uranium stockpile and controls over the Strait of Hormuz. However, U.S. Secretary of State Marco...

By Jacob Bogage and Parisa Hafezi

WASHINGTON/DUBAI, May 21 – The U.S. and Iran continue to disagree on issues like Iran's uranium stockpile and controls over the Strait of Hormuz. However, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio mentioned that there have been “some good signs” during talks.

President Donald Trump stated that the U.S. will eventually reclaim Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium, which the U.S. believes is aimed at developing nuclear weapons, while Iran insists it is for peaceful purposes.

“We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it. We’ll probably destroy it after we get it, but we’re not going to let them have it,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

Rubio indicated that a diplomatic solution seems unlikely if Iran implements a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz. He did, however, note some progress in discussions.

“There are some good signs,” Rubio said. “I don’t want to be overly optimistic, so let’s see what happens in the coming days.”

An Iranian source stated that while no agreement has been finalized, progress has been made, though uranium enrichment and control of the Strait of Hormuz remain major points of contention.

Oil prices fluctuated significantly on Thursday as uncertainty persisted regarding the resolution of the conflict.

Prior to Trump's comments, two senior Iranian sources reported that Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei had instructed that uranium should not be sent outside the country.

Trump expressed his strong opposition to Iran's plans to charge fees for the use of the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial route for a significant portion of the world’s oil and natural gas.

“We want it open and free. We don’t want tolls. It’s an international waterway,” he stated.

Trump has indicated his willingness to resume strikes on Iran, a strategy the U.S. and Israel first adopted in late February, if he does not receive satisfactory responses from Iranian leaders.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards have warned that any new attacks would lead to retaliation beyond their region.

LITTLE PROGRESS IN TALKS

Despite limited progress in negotiations to end the conflict since a fragile ceasefire began six weeks ago, Pakistan’s Army Chief Asim Munir was reportedly headed to Tehran for further discussions.

“We’re talking to various groups in Iran to improve communication and speed things up,” a source familiar with the negotiations said. “Trump’s dwindling patience is a concern, but we're trying to enhance the speed at which messages are exchanged from both sides.”

Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi visited Tehran again this week, delivering a message from the U.S. and meeting with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, according to Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency.

The deadlock has severely impacted the global economy, primarily due to the inflationary effects of rising oil prices.

As the November midterm elections approach, Trump faces growing domestic pressure, with his approval rating hovering near its lowest point since he returned to office last year.

This week, Tehran submitted a new offer to the U.S.

The details suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control over the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damages, lifting sanctions, the release of frozen assets, and the withdrawal of U.S. troops.

On Thursday, Iran's deputy foreign minister reiterated Tehran's claims to sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

GLOBAL ENERGY SHOCK

The International Energy Agency (IEA) has declared the conflict as the source of the worst energy shock in the world.

It warned that the combination of peak summer fuel demand and a lack of new supplies from the Middle East could push the market into a “red zone” in July and August.

Some ships continue to navigate the strait, though numbers are significantly lower than the usual 125-140 daily transits before the conflict began.

According to Iran's IRNA news agency, 31 ships passed through in the last 24 hours with the coordination of the Iranian navy.

Iran aims to reopen the strait for friendly countries that comply with its terms, which could potentially include fees.

Rubio warned, “If they continue to pursue that, it would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible. It’s a threat to the world and completely illegal.”

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that their objectives include limiting Iran's support for regional militias, dismantling its nuclear program, destroying its missile capabilities, and easing the path for Iranians to overthrow their government.

However, Iran has so far maintained its stockpile of nearly weapons-grade enriched uranium and its capacity to threaten neighboring countries through missiles, drones, and proxy militias.

Back to newsroom
Published 22.05.2026